In our continuing celebration of Halloween, we’re inviting you to participate in our ‘Caption This!’ Halloween photo contest. There are 10 photos from which to choose.
- Caption one or caption all ten. You don’t have to caption each photo to win.
- One winner per photo.
- You can only win once.
- Each winner receives a $50 gift certificate (not including tax and shipping).
- Please note the photo number with your caption in the comments.
- All comments are moderated before being posted to the blog.
- We’re looking for funny comments in Victorian vernacular that can be easily shared in a public forum (keep it reasonably clean, please).
- Contest ends at midnight (Eastern Daylight Time) on November 2, 2016.
- The decision of the judge is final.
- If there is a tie, names will be placed into a random drawing to determine a winner.
- Winners will be notified by email by midnight (Eastern Daylight Time) on November 4, 2016.
There are many interesting photos from the Victorian era. The photographic process was developing in more ways than one. There was much experimenting with the process, subjects, elements, and themes (some that we find archaic and even macabre today). Please comment on one or more photos to be entered into the ‘Caption This!’ photo contest.
1. A Girl and Her Dolls
What was it like to be one of this girl’s dolls? Oh, my! She may seem all sweet and innocent but one look at her collection and it’s easy to see where Charles Addams got the inspiration for Wednesday.
This beautiful Victorian woman is toying with the camera. What lurks behind the (half) mask?
3. Look at What I Made!
She seems to be as mesmerized by what she made as the gentleman looking on!
These three young ladies seem to be sending mixed messages! What are they really saying?
5. Grandma Fixes His Pants
What is this little boy thinking as his pants are repaired by his grandmother?
6. Two Women with Umbrellas
What thoughts are exchanged by these two women as they stand still for who knows how long waiting for the photographer to let them know it’s all over?
7. Where’s Mama?
Mothers have been trying to conceal themselves in photos with young children since the inception of photography. Look at how creative this mother and photographer were in hiding mom as she props up the baby for a photo. What is mom thinking about all of this?
8. Who is That Woman in the Mirror?
What is this young woman thinking as she looks at herself in the mirror?
9. The Thinker
This is a very macabre artistic photo. What is the younger man thinking?
10. Family Photo
The young boy 4th from the left has an interesting facial expression. What might he be thinking about all of this fuss?
That’s it, everyone. Have fun! Be sure to check out our current sale for more ways to win prizes.
– Donna Klein