Victorian dresses are known for their long hoops and their poofy, leg-o-mutton sleeves. These dresses, especially the dresses of the Civil War, became iconic for the entire era, and are now are some of the most popular dresses we have on our entire site. We’ve compiled a list of the 5 most popular Victorian dress patterns that are great examples of different styles from the era. This wide sample of dress designs should be able to help you find what you’re looking for easily, and will help guide you toward which kind of dress you want the most.
- Emma Dress: The Emma dress is a sweet, summertime dress. The epitome of a southern belle, this calico evening dress was more sophisticated than its daytime counterparts. The elegant lace at the top of the dress and on the sleeves. For a romantic dress that will make every soldier swoon, choose the Emma dress!
- Piper dress: For a gown that is a little more conservative, the Piper dress may be exactly what you’re looking for. Long sleeved but still full with a hoop skirt, this dress can be made with any kind of calico. The buttoned waistband on the dress is as lovely as can be! For a more conservative day-dress, consider the Piper.
- Jacket and Skirt: For a Victorian dress that is a younger look but still conservative, the jacket and skirt look may be for you. The best part of this is that you can get your jacket and skirt pair made in any color you like, so you can have both separates and a pulled together ensemble. Shiny taffeta is just a dream!
- Annamae dress: Don’t forget, the Victorian era includes the bustle! Here is a great example of an elegant and sophisticated bustled dress pattern. Done in calico but with beautiful pleating and lace, this can serve as either an evening or a day dress.
- Priscilla gown: This gown screams high society. From the fabric to the sleeves and the detail, everything about this dress is rich. If you have a dressy event where you want to shine, the Priscilla gown is definitely for you.
Whether it’s a bustled evening gown or a calico day dress, Recollections will have you set with some wonderful options for every Victorian dress you can imagine. If you have any questions about the dresses we offer or styles you’d like to see, don’t hesitate to give us a call! We would be happy to work with you and point you in the right direction for the dress that’s perfect for you.